The Avondale Police Department’s Citizen Police Academy (CPA) is a program designed for citizens of Avondale, surrounding communities, and members of the business community to provide an inside look at our Police Department and law enforcement operations. The CPA is designed to provide participants with an overview of the operations and resources of the Avondale Police Department. The goal of the CPA is to provide a greater awareness and understanding of law enforcement’s role in our community.
The CPA is an 8-week program that meets weekly. Participants will interact with police executives, veteran officers and professional staff during the academy. Topics may include: Recruiting, Crime Analysis, DUI, Motors, SWAT, Street Crimes, Criminal Investigation Bureau, Taser Demo, High Risk stops, Dispatch, Detention, and much more. Each session will include hands-on activities. The location of each class will vary between the different police facilities.
General Ground Rules for Academy Participants
In order to have an enjoyable experience for all participating in the Avondale Police Department Citizen Police Academy, a few important items have been addressed below:
For Your Comfort
- Sessions will start on time at 6:00 pm and end at 9:00 pm
- Light snacks and beverages will be provided for each session
- Business casual dress is appropriate with comfortable footwear (a number of sessions will have participant activities)
- Breaks will be scheduled into all of the sessions
- Cell phones will be on vibrate
For Safety Reasons
- CPA participants will wear their CPA ID’s while attending sessions
- No guests or children permitted at CPA sessions/activities
- NO WEAPONS PERMITTED ON City of Avondale PROPERTY
- Business casual dress is appropriate with comfortable footwear – NO FLIP FLOPS
- Emergency Contact Forms Completed
- Waiver Forms Completed
- For security reasons social media picture postings will not be permitted
- Stay with your CPA classmates during activities
Sessions will begin on time at 6:00 pm – out of courtesy to your CPA classmates and law enforcement presenters, please be on time.
100% participation is required for graduation
***DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS CURRENTLY IN PLACE, CPA CLASSES HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED***
Please check back for future dates, or inquire with the point of contact listed for more information. Those who have already submitted an application for the 2020 class will not be required to apply again and will be placed in the rescheduled CPA application pool.
For more information please contact: Lauren Twigg, 623-333-7218/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Avondale PD 2018 CPA Graduates