Overview of Explorer Selection Process:
Be between 14 and 20 ½ years of age.
Have completed the 8th grade.
Must have a C average or better in school.
Be free of felony arrests, current drug or alcohol use, and criminal activity.
Attend two general meetings a month.
Submit required application forms and pass a background check.
Complete a 2 week academy in the summer.
Pass a six-month probation period.
Please fill out each of the following forms and bring to the Avondale Police Department Main Station - located at 11485 W Civic Center Dr, Avondale, AZ 85323. Please place all forms in a sealed envelope marked Attn: Officer Ayala-Shaffer - Explorer Program.
Explorer P.T. Release Form
Social Networking Waiver
Explorer Photographic Release Form
Applicants and their parent/guardian are encouraged to attend a meeting to have their questions answered about the Explorer program. If however, more information is required prior to attending a meeting, the Explorer Advisor, Officer Joshua Ayala-Shaffer, can be reached at 623-333-7358 or by email at EmailPoliceDepartment@avondaleaz.gov
Meetings will be held every Monday from 6 PM - 9 PM. Unless otherwise noted, meetings will be held at the Northwest Public Safety Facility located on the campus of Estrella Mountain Community College, 3200 North Dysart Road, Avondale, AZ.
• Any arrest in the past 36 months will be evaluated case by case
• Driving record and license suspensions will be evaluated
• Breach of integrity, employee thefts or being dishonest in your job performance
• Any hard drug use
• Any marijuana use within the last 1 year
• Any outstanding criminal charges
• Any undetected criminal acts will be evaluated case by case
• Listed as a suspect and/or investigative lead on a police report will be evaluated case by case
“Serving with Honor”