City Update logo-square

 **COVID-19 Response**   The following official announcements have been made by the city in regards to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus)   In an effort to minimize the visits to City Hall, please use our online services for paying your water bill

Avondale is following guidance provided by the state Governor’s Executive Orders: Effective Sunday, June 21, 2020 the wearing of face coverings by employees and customers will be required in all city facilities,  retail establishments, convenience stores, grocery stores, pharmacies, gyms, indoor sports or activity facilities, and medical offices. Additionally, these businesses will be required to post notice of these requirements at their entrances. (see more: COVID-19 Response)


Orders of Protection

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Información en Español

"AZ Point" logo. "Arizona Protective Order Initiation & Notification Tool"

AZPOINT, the Arizona Protective Order Initiation and Notification Tool, has been designed to help you fill out a petition for an Order of Protection. Through an interview in AZPOINT, you can quickly and accurately fill out the forms that are needed to request an Order of Protection at an Arizona court. An Order of Protection is a court order that is issued to stop a person from committing domestic violence or from contacting other people protected by the order. The portal will also help you figure out whether you (the plaintiff) and the person from whom you are seeking protection (the defendant) have a qualifying relationship for an Order of Protection. Your information will be saved in AZPOINT for up to 90 days. At any time during this 90-day period, you may take the next step of filing your petition at an Arizona court. Until you file your petition at a court, you will be able to return to AZPOINT to update your information if necessary. You are encouraged to speak to a victim advocate before you file your petition. An advocate can help you make a safety plan and give you more information about how an Order of Protection works and how it will be served on the defendant. For more information, click here: to go to AZPOINT.

Petitions Heard

7:00am - 6:00pm
Monday - Thursday (except holidays)
In an emergency situation call 9-1-1

What is an order of protection?

An Order of Protection is requested when seeking protection against:

  • a spouse or former spouse
  • person of the same or opposite sex with whom you live or lived
  • person with whom you are expecting a child, or with whom you have a child in common
  • your relative
  • a person with whom you have a romantic or sexual relationship now or in the past

In addition, a domestic violence crime has to have been committed. If both do not apply, then you would file an Injunction Against Harassment. A petition and guide sheet must be filed, followed by an appearance before a Judge. If the Judge finds that the defendant may commit or has committed an act of domestic violence, the Judge can issue an order:

  • Ordering one party not to commit acts of domestic violence
  • Granting one party exclusive use of residence
  • Preventing one party from coming near residence, place of employment or school of the other party
  • And any other relief necessary for protection

An Order can prohibit weapons and after a hearing order the defendant to obtain counseling.  The Judge DOES NOT have the authority to order parties to resolve property disputes, or fashion an Order of Protection affecting any visitation rights. The Judge does not have authority to render child custody orders. THESE TYPES OF RELIEF ARE APPROPRIATE FOR REVIEW BY THE SUPERIOR COURT.

How do I file for a protective order?

You must fill out the paperwork given to you by the Clerk at the court at 11325 W. Civic Center Drive. An order can only be issued against one person. Each person you want to file against requires a separate petition.

You MUST provide the court with:

  • The defendant's name.
  • A list of all acts of domestic violence or harassment that the defendant has committed within the past year. (The 1-year requirement may be waived if the defendant is out of state, incarcerated, or good cause is shown.)
  • Your address and phone number so we can contact you if the defendant requests a hearing. (Upon request, this information will be withheld from the defendant.)
  • An address at which the defendant can be legally served with the court's order.

Remember - you can request an Order of Protection without the address -- BUT IT IS NOT EFFECTIVE UNTIL THE DEFENDANT IS SERVED. You should tell this court if there are any other court proceedings regarding the defendant's conduct toward you or any other orders in effect. It does not matter if the court proceedings are going on now, or if they happened in the past, this court should be told about all of them.

After you complete the paperwork, you will be scheduled before a Judge who will review your petition. This appearance is usually on the same day.

For Order of Protection:

Serving an Order of Protection

If the Judge issues the Order of Protection, you must have the defendant served with the order before it will be effective. Once an order has been served, it will be in effect for twelve (12) months.

You may use a private process server or you may use the Avondale Police Department to serve the order. If you elect to use the Avondale Police Department, there is no service fee. If you use a private process server you are responsible for delivering the defendant's copy of the order to the process server and for paying a service fee and mileage.

IF YOU DO NOT PRESENTLY KNOW WHERE THE DEFENDANT IS, OR DO NOT HAVE AN ACCURATE ADDRESS, you should keep the pink copy of the order. As soon as you learn where the defendant is, you can contact a private process server or the police, so that they may attempt to serve the defendant.

IF THE DEFENDANT IS IN JAIL, you (the plaintiff) will need to advise court staff. You may need to hand carry the order to the jail and request that jail staff serve the defendant. If the defendant is in the process of being released, there may not be enough time to have service completed.

You have one year in which to have the defendant served. Once an order has been served, it will be in effect for twelve (12) months.

The defendant may request a hearing on the order one time during the twelve months in which it is in effect. A hearing will be held within 10 days from the date requested unless the court finds compelling reasons to continue the hearing. If you (the plaintiff) have been granted exclusive use of the residence the hearing will then be held within 5 days.

If during the period of time your order is in effect your circumstances change, you must appear in person to request a possible modification to your order.

If a petition for dissolution or separation of marriage or maternity/paternity action is filed, you must notify the court immediately and the proceedings will be transferred to superior court.

If the defendant violates the court order you should:  CALL 9-1-1 FOR ALL EMERGENCIES

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer