City Update logo-square

 **COVID-19 Response**   The following official announcements have been made by the city in regards to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus)   In an effort to minimize the visits to City Hall, please use our online services for paying your water bill

Avondale is following guidance provided by the state Governor’s Executive Orders: Effective Sunday, June 21, 2020 the wearing of face coverings by employees and customers will be required in all city facilities,  retail establishments, convenience stores, grocery stores, pharmacies, gyms, indoor sports or activity facilities, and medical offices. Additionally, these businesses will be required to post notice of these requirements at their entrances. (see more: COVID-19 Response)



Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

If I post a bond for myself or anyone else, will I get a refund?

Usually, no.  If a person is arrested on a warrant for failure to pay a fine, bonds are applied to the fine that is owed.  If a person is arrested for failing to appear in court, once he does appear, if he pleads guilty or is found guilty, the bond will be applied to the fine.  Any balance left over after a fine is paid is refunded within two to three weeks to the person posting the bond. 


Can I get an extension on my court date?

No continuances are granted on civil traffic cases.  

A motion to request a continuance on a criminal case must be in writing and must be filed five days prior to the court date and are only granted for good cause. 

Please note, when filing a motion to continue on a criminal case you must submit a copy of the motion to the City Prosecutor’s office. 

A motion to continue will not be granted automatically.  If good cause cannot be shown, the motion to continue will not be granted and you will have to appear on your original court date. Do not assume you were granted an extension merely because you have made a request.  If you do not receive a new court date, you must appear on the date and time originally scheduled.   

When can I see a Judge in person?

The Avondale City Court is open Monday through Thursday, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. For most traffic tickets, people are scheduled for “Open Court” on Monday starting at 8:30 am, at which time you may speak with the judge.  Whenever the court is open, court clerks may be able to answer questions or provide information; however, clerks are not allowed to give legal advice, only information.


Where do I go to pay my fine?

You may mail a payment to the courthouse at 11325 W. Civic Center Dr., Avondale, AZ  85323. You are welcome to come in with a payment or to call the court’s telephone number to pay over the phone with a credit card or debit card.


When is my court date?

Check the citation appearance date located on the lower left hand side.  If your court date is Saturday, Sunday, or holiday, you must appear on the following business day at the time indicated.


Notice to Juveniles

Juveniles must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.


I need a lawyer; who do I call?

See the OTHER LINKS section.


There is a warrant out for my arrest, what do I do?

You  may post a bail/bond at the court or at the Avondale Detention Facility located in Old Town Avondale, 521 E. Western Avenue, Avondale or the Bond Window at Maricopa County Madison Street Jail.  Information on the Madison Street Jail can be found at  If you post a bond you must come in to court within 5 days or the bond may be forfeited.


How do I get a refund on my cash bail?

Cash bonds are applied to fines. If there is a balance due back to the person posting the bond, a check will be mailed to that person within a reasonable timeframe.


If someone I know is arrested, how can I find out where he or she is?

Call the Avondale Detention Facility at (623)-333-7009 or check with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office at


How can I tell if my driver’s license has been suspended?

Call the Motor Vehicle Division at (602) 255-7011. Information is also available at

When am I scheduled for the Defensive Driving Program (Traffic School),  where do I report for the Defensive Driving Class?

 Registration Instructions :  Call 1-888-334-5565 (automated response only) or visit to determine which defensive driving school you may attend and what the fee is for the school.  If you need special accommodations for a defensive driving class, please notify the school's registration personnel at the time of your registration.

I went to the Defensive Driving Class, now what happens?

When you complete the class at an Arizona Supreme Court certified school, the school notifies the court of your completion and the charge is dismissed.  For further questions, call the Court at (623) 333-5800.


How do I get protection from my violent spouse, family member, intimate partner or roommate?

Come to the Court at the address listed above and fill out a request for an Order of Protection.  


What can I do about harassment from others?

Come to Court at the address listed above and fill out a request for an Injunction Against Harassment.


Can you help me get my spouse to pay child support?

No.  Contact the Maricopa County Family Support Enforcement at (602) 506-3762. Information is also available on-line through Maricopa County Clerk of the Superior Court and through the State of Arizona Department of Economic Security.

Can you tell me if: my divorce is final, d
o I get a marriage license from you, do I come to you to file for bankruptcy and or can you help me sue a contract/neighbor/etc.?  No.  Contact Clerk of the Court, Maricopa County at (602) 506-3360.


How do I resolve an outstanding warrant, overdue fine or suspended license? The Compliance Assistance Program is designed to help individuals resolve past traffic dues to quash arrest warrants and lift MVD license suspensions.