Southwest Freight Subarea Project Assessment Public Meeting
- Date: 10/16/2018 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
- Location: City of Tolleson Parks and Recreation Center Conference Room
9555 W. Van Buren St.
Tolleson, Arizona 85323
- Introduction: The project focus is on commercial truck freight operations and how trucks interact with other modes of travel like cars, trains, buses, bicycles, and pedestrians.
The Maricopa Association of Governments is conducting the Southwest Freight Subarea Project Assessment in partnership with the City of Phoenix, City of Tolleson, City of Avondale, Arizona Department of Transportation, and the Maricopa County Department of Transportation.
The purpose of the project is to help people and goods move more efficiently and safely through the area. The project focus is on commercial truck freight operations and how trucks interact with other modes of travel like cars, trains, buses, bicycles, and pedestrians.The project team has completed site visits and observations and has compiled its preliminary findings.
- 1. Observe and document overall traffic congestion and safety concerns
- 2. Identify high-priority locations where improvements are needed Preliminary Findings
- Tight right turns cause trucks to cross curbs, barriers,or sidewalks or enter opposing travel lanes to make turns• Excessive backups due to insufficient number of lanes or inefficient signal timing and phasing
- Major city roads typically have fewer than 5% trucks;72% of study area major roads have more than 5%trucks; 14% of roads have more than 20% trucks
- Concentrations of truck related crashes at Van Buren Street/75th Avenue intersection and on Van Buren Street east of 67th Avenue• High pedestrian activity along McDowell Road
- View Fact Sheet & Map for more preliminary findings
A Neighborhood Meeting will be held to share their findings and to gather your ideas and concerns regarding potential opportunities and barriers for truck freight operations in the area.
- City of Tolleson Parks and Recreation Center Conference Room 9555 W. Van Buren St., Tolleson, AZ 85353
Please contact Tim Strow with any questions or to provide input if you are unable to attend the meeting.