The business and sales tax licenses are two separate licenses. The City of Avondale (City) administers the business license, and the Arizona Department of Revenue administers the Transaction Privilege Tax (sales tax) license.
The City requires all business activities (including services) performed within the City to obtain a business license. A business license is required for each business location and for each business at a single location.
- Businesses apply for a business license by completing and submitting a Business License Application, along with a $65 fee ($25 non-refundable application fee and $40 annual fee), to 11465 West Civic Center Drive, Suite 270, Avondale, AZ 85323-6808.
- The annual license fee is assessed for the period of January 1 through December 31 with no prorating.
- All licenses expire on December 31 each year.
- Renewal fees are $40 per entity, and are due and payable on January 1 and shall be considered delinquent if not received on or before the last business day of January.
- For businesses with fixed locations, licenses should be posted and exhibited in a conspicuous area.
- For businesses not having fixed places of business, licenses shall be carried at all times while conducting the business or other activity for which the license or any renewal thereof was granted.
- The application processing time for business not located in the City is about 3-5 working days and about 10-15 working days for businesses located in the City.
- Applications for business in the City take longer to process because the application must be reviewed and approved by multiple departments, including the Fire and Medical, Development Engineering Services and Police.
- After all departments have reviewed the application, if denied the applicant will be notified by mail regarding the details of the denial. If the application is denied, the $40.00 annual fee will be refunded.
- Applicants who intend to operate a home-based business, must also complete and submit a Home Occupation Supplemental Questionnaire along with the business license application.
- Applicants who intend to sell door-to-door must obtain a peddler’s identification card from the Police Department. For more information, please review our Peddlers Permit Application, Information, and Requirements.
- Business permit and zoning questions should be directed to the Development Services and Engineering Department at (623) 333-4000.
- Questions about fire safety should be directed to the Fire and Medical Department at (623) 333-6000.
- All other application questions should be directed to the Finance and Budget Department, Tax and Licensing Unit by telephone (623) 333-2001 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forms and Information
- Business License Application
- Home Occupation Supplemental Questionnaire
- Peddlers Permit Application, Information, and Requirements